Ron Ezekiel is a partner with Fasken Martineau’s Global Energy Group. He assists utilities, independent power producers, retailers and other energy and resource industry clients with their business needs, including: project permits and environmental assessment; impact benefit agreements and negotiations with First Nations; project finance; mergers and acquisitions; divestitures; joint ventures; and carbon market related activities (including emissions trading, RECs, and environmental certifications).
Ron’s clients benefit from his comprehensive knowledge of the electrical industry, and his ability to provide timely and practical advice, including in connection with:
- Transmission and interconnection tariffs, and wheeling contracts
- Transmission infrastructure development issues, including network upgrade and infrastructure cost contribution agreements
- Power purchase arrangements
- Generation project development issues, including hydro, microhydro and wind
- Project joint venture and co-ownership arrangements
- Energy markets
Ron’s industry knowledge, creativity and broad business transaction background make him an ideal choice for counsel on M&A transactions involving energy assets. Ron has acted on both acquisitions and divestitures of generation assets, including early-stage and operating independent power projects, and of natural gas pipelines. He has also negotiated complex joint venture and co-ownership arrangements for the joint development and operation of energy assets.
Carbon Markets / Emissions Trading
Ron assists clients active in the carbon market or with other emissions trading activities. Having practised in this area for over 15 years, Ron has extensive experience and a broad knowledge base that is crucial in bridging critical deal issues necessary to complete transactions. Ron’s work in this area includes:
- Public policy analysis
- Emissions trading contracts, including structuring buffer pools, land use covenants, and other issues related to permanence and carbon sequestration projects
- Environmental certifications for facilities and products