Robert Harrison has recently been identified by Benchmark Canada as a "litigation star" and one of Canada's top 50 trial lawyers and he is ranked by Lexpert as one of Canada's leading litigators. He is also recognized for his expertise in the current surveys of Chambers Global, Best Lawyers in Canada, and martindale.com. In past editions of Benchmark Canada the following statements by his peers have been included: “Robert Harrison…is a very thoughtful lawyer, who has done (many trials). You don’t want him on the other side of you”. “Bob is the real deal, a real litigator who has argued a lot of big cases. He’s not a name that everyone likes to fly up the flagpole right away – because he wins, and some people can’t deal with that. But if you prod people and ask them to come clean, believe me they will tell you he’s fantastic.” "Bob is a real trial lawyer, the kind you just don't find every day. He could teach would-be litigators how it's really done."
In 2010, a Justice of the Superior Court of Ontario described Robert as “a highly regarded litigator, recognized as senior counsel”. In 2013, another Justice of the same Court said of Robert: “This (matter) was…of importance to both parties…It was reasonable for the applicant to have someone of Mr. Harrison’s seniority and ability lead the case.”
Robert is perhaps best known for his success in a two year trial and subsequent appeals in the case of Waxman v. Waxman. The reasons of the trial judge make it clear that the cross-examinations conducted by Robert were fundamental to his clients' success.
In 2009, Robert led Fasken Martineau's litigation team representing Gold Reserve Inc. in obtaining a rare interlocutory injunction restraining a hostile takeover bid.
In 2011, Robert led Fasken Martineau's trial team on behalf of the International Air Transport Association (commonly known as IATA) in obtaining the dismissal of litigation brought by Sabre Inc. alleging the misuse of confidential data. The trial decision was upheld by the Ontario Court of Appeal.
In 2016, Robert led Fasken Martineau's trial team representing Canadian Pacific Railway Company in litigation recognized by Benchmark Canada as one of five “Impact Cases of the Year”.
Robert has litigated cases in many areas of substantive law, including in relation to securities, financial institutions, shareholders' remedies, insurance coverage, directors and officers liability, environmental litigation, intellectual property, and injunctions.
Robert regularly makes presentations on trial advocacy for the Advocates' Society. He served on the Ontario Civil Rules Committee for six years.
Robert is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and a Charter Member of the Trial Law Institute and the Diversity Law Institute.
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 6024
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 5295
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2016 ONSC 3006
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 2536
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2016 ONSC 2491
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 1455
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2015 ONSC 6843
- Nordion Inc. v. Life Technologies Inc., 2015 ONSC 99 (CanLII)
- GB/Plasman Investors’ Limited Partnership v. APP Holdings Limited Partnership, 2013 ONSC 5412 (CanLII)
- GB/Plasman v. APP Holdings, 2013 ONSC 6401 (CanLII)
- Angelica Choc; German Chub Choc; Caal et al. v. Hudbay Minerals Inc. et al., 2013 ONSC 998 (CanLII)
- Hamilton (City) v. Metcalfe & Mansfield Capital Corporation, 2010 ONSC 7184 (CanLII); 2012 ONCA 156
- Sabre Inc. v. International Air Transport Association, 2011 ONCA 747 (CanLII)
- Sabre Inc. v. International Air Transport Association, 2011 ONSC 206 (CanLII)
- Gold Reserve Inc. v. Rusoro Mining Limited and Endeavour Financial International Corporation,  O.J. No. 533 (S.C.J.)
- Hemosol Corp. (Re),  O.J. No. 271 (C.A.)
- Hemosol Corp. (Re),  O.J. No. 687 (S.C.J.)
- De Beers Canada Inc. v. Shore Gold Inc.,  S.J. No. 330 (C.A.)
- De Beers Canada Inc. v. Shore Gold Inc.,  S.J. No. 211 (Q.B.)
- Waxman v. Waxman  O.J. No. 1765 (C.A.)
- Chiefs of Ontario v. Blakes (2003), 63 O.R. (3d) 335 (S.C.J.)
- Waxman v. Waxman  O.J. No. 2528 (S.C.J.)
- Worthington Trucking Inc. v. Klingbeil (Litigation Guardian of) (1999), 43 O.R. (3d) 697 (Ont. Div. Ct.)
- Mutual Life Assurance Co. of Canada v. Peat Marwick (1998), 59 O.T.C. 241;  O.J. No. 5119 (Ont.C.A.)
- Canadian Premier Holdings Ltd. v. Winterthur Canada Financial Corp. (1998), 59 O.T.C. 304
- Montreal Trust Co. of Canada v. Olympia & York (1998), 66 O.T.C. 45
- Reynolds v. Innopac, (1998), 37 O.R. (3d) 577 (C.A.).
- Waxman v. Waxman (1997), 150 D.L.R. (4th) 370
- Schumacher v. Toronto-Dominion Bank (1997), 147 D.L.R. (4th) 128; 153 D.L.R. (4th) 187
- Del Grande v. Toronto Dominion Bank (1995), 21 B.L.R. (2d) 220
- Toronto-Dominion Bank v. Grande Caledon Developments Inc.,  O.J. No. 1433
- Slough Estates Canada Ltd. v. Federal Pioneer Ltd. (1994), 20 O.R. (3d) 429
- MDS Health Group Ltd. v. King Street Medical Arts Centre Ltd.,  12 B.L.R. (2d) 209; 55 C.P.R. (3d) 360
- Re Lehndorff General Partner Ltd. (1993), 9 B.L.R. (2d) 275; 17 C.B.R. (3d) 24
- Olympia & York Developments Ltd. v. Royal Trust Co., (1993), 14 O.R. (3d) 1; 103 D.L.R. (4th) 129; 64 O.A.C. 324; 9 B.L.R. (2d) 221; 19 C.B.R. (3d) 1 (Ont. C.A.)
- Re Olympia & York Developments Ltd. (1993), 12 O.R. (3d) 500; 17 C.B.R. (3d) 1
- Olympia and York Developments Ltd. v. Royal Trust Co. (1993), 8 B.L.R. (2d) 69; 17 C.B.R. (3d) 75
- Picken (Jon) Ltd. et al. v. Guardian Insurance Co. of Canada (1993) 66 O.A.C. 39 (Ont. C.A.)
- Miller Paving v. Scarborough (City),  O.J. No. 2738
- Tilley v. Hails (1992) 7 O.R. (3d) 257
- Reynolds v. Innopac Inc.,  O.J. No. 2041
- St. Lawrence Cement Inc. v. Ontario (Minister of Transportation) (1991), 50 B.L.R. 319; 3 O.R. (3d) 30
- Upper Yonge Ltd. v. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (1990), 75 O.R. (2d) 98
- Avery v. Value Investment Corp.  O.J. No. 843
- Planned Insurance Portfolios Co. v. Crown Life Insurance Co. (1989), 68 O.R. (2d) 270; 58 D.L.R. (4th) 106
- Bentham v. Rothbart,  26 C.P.C. (2d) 109
- Alexander Proudfoot Co. of Canada v. Storwal International Inc.,  O.J. No. 322
- Re Campeau Family Trust (1984), 44 O.R. (2d) 549; 50 O.R. (2d) 296 (Ont. C.A.)
- Ruddy v. Cameron Packaging Ltd. (1983), 41 C.P.C. 154; (1984), 41 C.P.C. 154 n (Ont. C.A.)
- Hatfield v. Globe and Mail Division of Canadian Newspapers Co. Ltd. et al. (1983), 41 O.R. (2d) 218
- Elviston Construction Ltd. v. Pinetree Development Co.,  O.J. No. 399
- Cameron Packaging Ltd. v. Ruddy,  O.J. No. 566
- Re Uranium Canada, Limited and The Queen (1982), 30 O.R. (2d) 130
- WMI Waste Management of Canada Inc. v. Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto (1982), 34 O.R. (2d) 708
- Re Convenience Services Ltd. and City of Sault Ste. Marie et al. (1980), 30 O.R. (2d) 660
- Evans v. The Savarin Ltd. et al. (1980), 27 O.R. (2d) 705
- R. v. City of Sault Ste. Marie,  2 S.C.R. 1299
- Sas v. Solomon et al. (1978) 20 O.R. (2d) 603
- Nesbitt, Thomson Co. Ltd. v. Bonefish Investments Ltd. et al. (1978), 20 O.R. (2d) 172
- Steiner v. Lindzon et al. (1977), 14 O.R. (2d) 122
- Hamilton Harbour Commissioners v. J. P. Porter (1976), 70 D.L.R. (3d) 535; 13 O.R. (2d) 199
- Re MacDermaid (1976), 9 O.R. (2d) 170