Montréal (Canada) – Fasken Martineau, a leading international business law and litigation firm, has been investing in the next generation over the years by sharing the expertise of its professionals. This year is no exception as the firm worked with students competing in the Pierre-Basile-Mignault (available in French only) Moot Competition.
On February 17 and 18, 2017, students from six civil law faculties in Canada faced off during the 39th edition of the Moot. Fasken Martineau proudly supported the teams from the McGill University Faculty of Law, composed of:
- Benjamin Dionne and Quentin Montpetit (appellants);
- Hyacinthe Huguet and Simon Paransky (respondents).
The teams were assisted by Michael Shortt and Marc James Tacheji, who offered advice on their factums and their submissions. They also gave the students pointers on their oral presentation, aided by numerous judges, including the Honourable Jean-Louis Baudouin and Enrico Forlini, and guest litigators, including Marc-André Fabien, Ad.E.
Results to be proud of
Montréal associates Michael Shortt and Marc James Tacheji
- At the end of the elimination round before the Honourable Jacques R. Fournier, J.S.C., Suzanne Courteau, J.S.C. and Louis Crête, J.S.C., respondents Benjamin Dionne and Quentin Montpetit were named Best Respondents in the Preliminary Round. They went on to plead brilliantly and won the final round before the Honourable Richard Wagner, C.J.S.C., Yves-Marie-Morissette, J.A. and Anne Jacob, J.S.C. They took home the Best Team award, beating out the UQAM appellants;
- Quentin Montpetit won the award for Best Oralist in the preliminary round, out of the 24 students who pleaded;
- Appellants Hyacinthe Huguet and Simon Paransky won the discretionary award (for the Best Non-finalist Team, being a team that could not plead in the final round due to a competition rule).
The Pierre-Basile-Mignault Moot Court Competition is a prestigious event that aims to stimulate interest and scholarship in Quebec civil law and to help future advocates hone their courtroom skills.
About Fasken Martineau
Fasken Martineau is a leading international business law and litigation firm. With more than 700 lawyers, the firm has offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London and Johannesburg. For additional information, please visit the firm's website at fasken.com.