Michael (Mike) Coburn is a partner in the Taxation Group. He provides advice on a broad range of corporate and personal tax matters, regularly advising clients on the most tax efficient means of completing a transaction. Mike has extensive experience with respect to the tax implications and structuring of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, financings and other business transactions.
Mike also regularly assists clients in disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency and other taxing authorities.
Mike's clients rely on him to address their complex tax issues across a wide range of industries, including mining, energy and digital media. Clients value his responsiveness as well as his solutions based approach to solve their business needs. Mike’s clients operate businesses across Canada, the U.S., and internationally.
In addition to his transaction experience, Mike has assisted clients with a broad range of tax-related matters, including:
- Structuring mutual funds trusts, mortgage investment corporations, unit trusts and other tax-orientated vehicles
- Tax-effective reorganizations of both private and public companies
- Structuring both “in-bound” and “out-bound” cross-border investments
- Providing legal opinions on questions of tax law
- Providing general advice on a variety of on-going compliance matters
He also regularly advises clients on industry specific matters, including mining and oil and gas royalties, LNG income tax, “flow through” share offerings and digital media tax credit programs.
Mike is presently a member of both the Student Committee of Fasken Martineau's Vancouver office, and the firm’s national U.S. Committee.