Clients in the health sector are subject to a dizzying array of statutes, regulations, rules and by-laws that govern their interactions with patients and patients’ families, as well as often confusing case law that regulates their conduct. Every day they are required to make decisions about ethical and other practice issues that could subject them to liability. They require knowledgeable, practical and up-to-date advice from seasoned practitioners to help guide them to sensible solutions to their problems. Other clients face complex issues relating to medical staff appointments and privileges.
Our team of experienced lawyers is well-suited to provide good, practical, knowledgeable and timely advice to clients on medical-legal issues.
We act for publicly funded organizations, professional colleges, charities, private corporations and individuals that provide, fund, regulate or service the provision of health care delivery. Our clients include hospitals and health authorities, long-term care homes, health care professionals and their regulatory colleges, home care companies, family health teams, family health organizations, independent health facilities and private clinics, among others.
We can advise you with respect to:
- Interactions with patients and families
- Negligence and discipline matters
- Medical staff appointments and privileges (granting, suspending, and terminating)
- Human rights complaints relating to patient services
- Consent, capacity and substitute decision issues
- Assisted death policies and guidance
- Personal health information
- Privacy issues