Louis P. Bernier specializes in labour and employment law, providing legal counsel on all employment-related matters and he has also accumulated a vast wealth of experience in all aspects of work organization and operations management, particularly in the course of restructurings and subcontracting, sale and merger transactions. He also specializes in administrative and constitutional law, especially as these relate to extraordinary remedies and issues arising from the charters of rights and freedoms. He frequently advises company directors and officers on strategic matters including ethics issues, codes of ethics and corporate governance. Mtre Bernier is often called upon to plead before various organizations and courts of both provincial and federal jurisdiction. He also deals with cases involving personal information protection.
The following are some of the various management positions Mtre Bernier has held at the firm in recent years:
- Chairman of the Partnership Board of Fasken Martineau from 2006 to 2009
- National Managing Partner of Fasken Martineau from 2003 to 2006
- Member of the National Executive Committee of Fasken Martineau from 2000 to 2003
- Managing Partner of the Québec City and Montréal offices from 2000 to 2003
- Managing Partner of Martineau Walker from 1996 to 2000
- Member of the Board of Directors of Martineau Walker from 1994 to 2003
Mr. Bernier delivers presentations on a regular basis and chairs conferences on various topics including psychological harassment in the workplace, duty to accommodate, evolution of labour-management relations, management of executive employment termination, protection of personal information and recent developments in employment and labour law. To this end, he works in tandem with numerous organizations, such as the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers and Insight Information.