Fasken Martineau often plays a leading role in high-profile contested corporate transactions. Our contested transactions team, comprised of leading public M&A and litigation lawyers, has extensive experience advising clients in connection with hostile take-over bids and proxy contests and is frequently called upon to provide advice with respect to strategy and tactics that impact outcomes. Our team also prides itself on its thought leadership, as evidenced by the team’s ground-breaking hostile take-over bid and proxy contest studies and its special committee publications.
By leveraging our experience, expertise and thought leadership, our contested transactions team is able to respond quickly and effectively to any situation that arises and provide advice to our clients that help them achieve their desired results.
Members of our contested transaction team are recognized internationally in leading legal industry guides publications, including in:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2015) (for Corporate Governance, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Securities Law)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2015) (for Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, Private Equity and multiple other related practice areas)
- Chambers Global (2015) (for Corporate/M&A in Canada, the UK and India and Corporate/Commercial in Nigeria)
- Chambers UK (2015) (for Corporate/M&A Mid-Market and Capital Markets: AIM)
- The Legal 500 UK (2014) (for Corporate & Commercial - Flotations: Small and Mid-Cap and M&A: Smaller Deals up to £50m)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers (2015) and Lexpert (2015)
- Who’s Who Legal (2015) (for Capital Markets and Corporate Governance)
- Legal 500 Canada 2015 – for Capital Markets , Corporate and M&A
Members of our contested transaction team are also frequently quoted in the press and have appeared as featured guests on leading business news programs.
We represent bidders, targets (including boards and special committees) and shareholders that are involved in contested corporate transactions. Our clients range from start-up enterprises to some of the world’s leading public companies and span a wide range of industries, including mining, energy, technology, life sciences, communications and real estate.
- Hostile take-over bids
- Topping offers
- Proxy contests
- Shareholder activism
- Board and special committee representation
- Corporate Governance
- Take-over defence mechanisms
- Litigation and dispute resolution