With the anticipated legalization of recreational marijuana, employers are facing new and unique challenges regarding safety in the workplace. Employers need to prepare for legislative changes and the potential effect to the health and safety of their workers in the workplace. Employers should be reviewing any current alcohol and drug policies or consider creating a new policy with the focus for workers to arrive to work 'fit for duty'.
This half-day workshop provides human resource and OHS managers and supervisors with a practical experience in the development of a 'fit for duty' policy that includes the potential hazards of alcohol and drug use in the workplace. This workshop will provide a best practice review of the essential elements of a policy: planning, implementation and review. The second part of the workshop will be creating or refining a policy for your specific workplace.
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and regulatory lawyer and author of “Alcohol and Drugs in the Canadian Workplace”, will assist managers and supervisors to prepare a fitness for duty policy and achieve OHS due diligence. The course focuses on:
- Recent case law and relevant decisions regarding drug and alcohol policies,
- A review of the legislated duties of workplace parties and how these duties may affect roles and responsibilities within your policy,
- A review of the essential elements of every policy, considering specific industries and types of workplaces,
- Working through essential elements and assisting in the organization of an effective and legally compliant drug and alcohol policy.
- 8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm Program
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
Human Resource managers, supervisors, OHS professionals, and compliance professionals
This is an in-person seminar
The cost of this seminar is $195 plus HST per registrant
Please RSVP by filling in the form below
For more information
+1 416 943 8976